Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:05:41 -0500
From:         Julia Schrenkler <juliaschrenkler@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: help fitting van in garage
Comments: To: Jake Beaulieu <jbeaulie@nd.edu>

Got to give a nod to the roll-up garage door. If you're not riding on big wheels or some strange lift kit, you should be able to fit into a standard, or sometimes even odd, garage. How close are you to clearance? I had to use a 2'x4' to prop my garage door up just enough to give me clearance to park. A real circus, but once in the Westy fit nicely.

Unfortunately, some garages (including my own, up until this summer) are of the time when headers weren't common. We rescued our garage from a slight center sag by installing a sturdy header (if you want proof an in-law loves you, ask him over to help). Between that and winding back the garage door opener setting on the track to reaaaallllly pull that nearly medieval heavy wood door allllll the way back, well, I can get in by the push of a button instead of by dance of the goofy.

Landlords might not be into you installing headers, but sometimes an adjustment - just an adjustment, mind you, not a mod - to the door itself can give you that extra, necessary 2-3" for van clearance. Or at least it did for me.

Hope this helps!

-Julia http://wanderwagen.com/

On 10/10/07, Jake Beaulieu <jbeaulie@nd.edu> wrote: *snip* >I was wondering if anybody has come > up with a good solution to this problem.