Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:20:07 -0600
From:         Ben Cichowski <cichowski@MONTANA.EDU>
Subject:      Cooling Fan info discrepancies

Hi All,

Been reviewing archives for days in hopes of not pestering anyone about my cooling fan problems, but I'm running into a lot of conflicting info and want to trouble shoot possible reasons for my cooling fan not kicking on:

This is for an '88 Vanagon Wolfburg Weekender

Everything now heats properly (both sides of the radiator get properly hot, and the thermoswitch is new, so is the water pump, radiator, thermostat) - there were other problems before this one came up!

Things that have been RULED OUT or, in some cases, replaced if found to be bad. (to save time on your responses) Radiator, Thermoswitch, Thermostat, Fuses, Water Pump, coolant level or quality, headgasket, cap on coolant tank, bubbles in coolant system (many good burping sessions with the front end WAY up and my prego wife at the RPM station).

1. I connected the slots on the 3-pin plug for the thermoswitch and I get both speeds to come on. Question: Does this test rule out problems with the resistor behind the headlight? - discrepancies in archives here

2. Could the relay under the dash be the cause of these problems? Some say that changing this worked for similar problems, others say that the relay could not possibly have anything to do with this.

3. I changed the ground connectors on the fan itself and behind the dash, but I'm still leaning towards this all being a problem with wiring. How the heck do you check for internal breaks in the wires given the length and tight location? Should I just change out all the wires and see if it works??

Thank you so much, I know you have all probably written too much on this already, I'm jus trying to sort through what information is correct.

Cheers, Ben