Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Oct 2007 16:02:35 -0400
From:         BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Short story in Der Speigel about the Vanagon

Very crude translation of the site:

The average age that approximately 46 million passenger car in Germany is at scarcely eight years, some cars is still clearly older. MIRROR ON-LINE ONE tests with the help of the readers, where the strengths and the weaknesses of the scrap metal lie. This time Axel Podubrin reports on its Volkswagen T3 Vanagon California, Baujahr 1990. Axel Podubrin: It happened in August 2005: We drove with our VOLKSWAGEN T3 Vanagon by Switzerland. Over the Spluegen passport it should go to Italy. Vollbepackt with three Surfboards and two bicycles were we quickly on the way. Suddenly it smelled after smoke. Frightened I looked myself over. There my wife stretched a small cake with a candle for me against: Congratulations on 300,000 kilometers! VOLKSWAGEN-BULLI T3: BUS FOR ALL SITUATIONS IN LIFE photo distance start: Click on a pictue (4 pictures) The VOLKSWAGEN bus of the third generation, built until 1990, is the last "genuine" Bulli with tail engine, and exactly the same one wanted we 2001 to have: Inside with much place, but small enough for parking spaces in the city, good overview by the high seating position, large sliding door - even those advantages, which made the Vans and region combinations so popular in recent time. The T3 however solid is and so uncomplicated that one can repair much. Was considerable already at that time, which 15 years old cars with run achievements can cost around 200,000 kilometers, but there are evenly enough people, which appreciate the value of a good T3. Although one sees still amazingly many of these cars on the road, they already belong to the classical authors: As is the case for old timers one greets oneself among themselves. The scene is accordingly well organized. And who wants, the hobby and finds fast connection can make its T3 Gleichgesinnten in InterNet forums, with tables reserved for regulars and meetings. Wanderduene on wheels SCRAP METAL - THEIR AUTO which experiences made you with your older car? Send to us an e Mail to your scrap metal: the most important technical data (type of model, Erstzulassung, HP or KW), some photos or a video and above all your personal experiences. What is good at the car, which is badly? Which adventures or anecdotes experienced you with your car? The information is selected and cannot not be honored unfortunately. With the entry you explain that the rights at text and pictures belong to you. Get ready to the e Mail please: altmetall@spiegel.de admitted: The terminal velocity of maximally 140 km/h (without roof load, downhill with tail wind) makes it nowadays on the motorway rather the wanderduene. To transport but if it concerns, times evenly a couch set or 30 bags flower earth - no problem. Also on the way the bus shows its qualities. Lack? Clearly! Apart from the fight against the rust, particularly in the creases, never ending, something always remains on the distance in the run the time. Except the usual parts such as battery, generator and clutch already larger operations were necessary: Transmission, front axle sockets, bremstraeger and naturally the engine, which the previous owner had however already exchanged. The 1.6 turbo-Diesels usually says good-bye after 150.000 to 200,000 kilometers. Then an outdated short block assembly must ago - or it is inserted somewhat stronger. In order to work against the Motorexitus, now an oil cooler helps to get the construction dependent temperature problem into the grasp. TO the TOPIC ON MIRROR ON-LINE scrap metal: All appeared so far each year go much time and so some hundred into the maintenance. And nevertheless: It is worthwhile itself. The repair costs are smaller than the depreciation of a newer model, in addition the "dwelling" is larger between bank and front seats than with the successors. And the car belongs to the family. We feel well therein, and the older the crate becomes, the more grows the defiance against modern, fast unit food. With the car we connect memories of beautiful vacation trips between Tallin and Toskana, Carcassonne and Jokkmokk. Thus each travel a little feels like vacation, even if one cranks only in the rush hour at the truck steering wheel.

Bryan