Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Oct 2007 03:29:21 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Vanagon cold hard start issues

Well, I've cried to the list before about how my 90GL with the Haltech ECU system on it won't start at all below 10 degrees F. About a month ago, it started showing these same symptoms when I first start it up in the morning when it's 50-70 degrees F out. It might be a little worse when it's been raining or really humid out, but the difficulty of starting the engine is almost exactly the same. Once it's been driven 15 min. or so, it's good for the rest of the day.

1. Compression in all 4 cylinders is good.

2. Ignition- engine certainly sounds like it's getting spark, but the plugs are old(Bosch Plats) and the ignition wires are over 60k(expensive aftermarket "performance" wires bought from Gene Berg when the motor was overhauled). Cap and rotor are less than 6 months old and the coil is new Bosch less than a year ago. Will check timing, but the ECU pretty much controls that. Hall Sender was new 3-4 years ago.

3.Fuel- The Haltech has it's own cold start program and I have no idea what's considered "rich or "lean" if I were to change it. The fuel injectors are original equipment, but I took them out earlier this year and tested the flow and the patterns were okay and none leaked after the power was shut off. Wasn't skilled enough to test the volume of spray, but this is a cold start only issue, so I'm not certain the injectors are at fault. In town mileage has never been very good, but the last few hwy. trips, the mpg has been in the 18-19 range and I've rarely ever gotten 20 or better. Fuel pressure(dash gauge) is reading 29-36 psi just like it's spozed to depending on vacuum load. I'm using the "ethanol 10% gas", but how would that affect cold starting? It hasn't changed as I've been using it for 3 or 4 years.

4. Vacuum leak- My dash VDO vacuum gauge shows no signs of a leak(warm idle of 14-15 in. hg.) and the hoses in the engine bay seem tight and in good condition.

Any chance I need to check and rest valve clearances to .006 as per the Boston Bob article? Again, what's different cold vs. hot here?

When I roll the starter, in the morning, the engine coughs and tries to start, and then it sounds like it's stumbling over itself. It will cough again and then if I slightly open the throttle, any momentum of finishing off the start procedure goes back to square one. If I was guessing, I would guess that it's fuel related, but whether it's being starved for start up fuel, or whether it's drowning in fuel at the start is a determination I've yet to be able to discern. If it does finally give the impression of it trying to run, any additional opening of the throttle seems to also kill the engine. If the throttle position sensor were going bad(Haltech item), would it give me trouble 100% of the time and not just during cold start?

any ideas folks?

TIA

DM&FS