Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Oct 2007 14:09:18 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1985 Vanagon - Upper suspension are/wishbone bushings at
              spindle

>> I spoke to the good folks at the BusDepot today and they said they >> could provide VW of NA brand suspension parts (ball joints >> and upper A-arm bushings) for those who want them. The price would >> probably be a bit higher than aftermarket parts but it would most likely be >> significantly less than the dealer marked up price. This is what I will do >> when I rebuild the front suspension again.

> can some shed some light here I thought VW did not make any > of these suspension components like tie rods, ball joints etc > I thought they just bought from the lobro's, Fibi's, > Lemforder & had em imprint the vw logo on those parts ?

You are absolutely right. Companies like Lobro, etc. are OE suppliers to VW. They provide the parts to VW, and also in many cases sell them under their own names. Most of the parts we sell are in fact OEM parts branded under the actual manufacturer's name instead of the VW name. By getting them directly from the manufacturers and bypassing the VW supply chain, we can discount the price significantly. The savings is often substantial; I have seen the identical part from the identical factory sell for $200 from VW and $35 from the actual manufacturer. But yes, if you prefer actual VW branded parts, we can provide them from within the Volkswagen supply chain. As noted, the price will be higher (often, but not always, significantly higher) than the price of the OE part, but it will be cheaper than from the VW dealer. The quality may or may not differ. While it may be better on some parts at some times, I'd say that in the vast majority of cases you're likely to end up with the very same part for more money.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT