Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Oct 2007 08:49:25 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      some Vanagon in-use observations..(what works for me) long-ish

After just spending a week + traveling in my 84, here are some observations about how stuff worked for us..

Headlights: My van's P.O. installed some halogen sealed beams-One says "Wagner "and one, "GE". These are very good lights. Excellent long range vision when on high beam and they don't seem to bother oncoming drivers when dimmed, while still lighting adequately to avoid deer and road debris....If this is a common upgrade, it's quite worthwhile.

To be purchased soon: Spotlights One or two of those spotlights like the cops have mounted on their A-pillars. 'Unity' makes some. I had one on a previous Split window van and I miss having one now. Useful for checking out potential campsites at night, for extra Off-Road lighting, and for illuminating areas around your campsite. I'll power mine from my aux. battery. Having the inside control handle that directs then 'fixes' the direction of the beam is handy.

My battery system seems to be working well, with the aux battery getting juice from a 'large' canister solenoid I got at a truck supply store. This thing "clacks!" nicely when you turn on the ignition so you know it is working.. I installed a secondary switch (to the control wire) to keep the alternator power input directed only to the main battery when I decide to. I run all my extras from the "coach" battery, which is isolated from the vehicle battery when the ignition is off and the solenoid is 'closed' This works for us.."K I S, S" (Keep It Simple, Stupid) Is a good motto for me.

Magnets sewn into your curtains are good. I have my curtains removable, using small bungee material for the top with some thin square magnets sew into the sides and bottoms all around. So before bed or when in need of privacy, we 'string' up the curtains as needed and the little magnets keep them in place when stuck to the pillars and the 'sills'..I'm going to get another of those silver windshield shade thingies and cut it into shapes to fit the front door windows, then install some more magnets around the perimeters of those 'shades', to help keep my doggies cool..Should be a good solution for the not-curtain-friendly shape of the door windows..

Dark limo tint is good. We can have decent daytime privacy for changing clothes and not grossing out the natives, yet still see to drive. I also put some of that across the top of my front windshield to mitigate the glare when driving into sun..handy.

Don Hanson