Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:53:12 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Running rich.....me too
Comments: To: "Eastman, Cecil @ ELM" <Eastman.C@ATWOODMOBILE.COM>

Hi Cecil,

Unfortunately, you are dealing with technicians who are trained to replace modules rather than repair your van. The FI system in the vanagon is not rocket science, most faults can be diagnosed with a fuel pressure gauge, vacuum gauge and trouble light. You need to have the Bentley manual, and be willing to invest the time to read and understand it.

And that's the problem: The vanagon is not a "normal" car as a modern mechanic understands it. The engine is at the wrong end, for crying out loud!

Throwing parts at a problem is a good way to waste hundreds of dollars and many hours of time without coming any closer to the problem. The best solution will come from reading the manual and working your way through the symptom charts to come to a resolution in a quick and cost-effective manner.

Your throttle position switch (TPS) might be bad, but it won't prevent the van from starting. That is MUCH more likely to be a result of a vacuum leak or a wiring problem inadvertently caused by the work on the TPS. The rich running condition initially detected is more likely due to a bad O2 sensor or a bad fuel pressure regulator than to the TPS.

A lot of mechanics won't want to take the time and invest the effort to learn how to work on a vanagon; their business is already profitable as-is and the return on investment just isn't there. You may want to start shopping around for a seasoned vanagon mechanic to avoid paying someone to learn on your van in the future. There's a great list of shop reviews on Larry Chase's website at http:// www.roadhaus.com/shops.php

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 1973/74/77/79 Westfakia "Bob The Tomato www.pottsfamily.ca www.busesofthecorn.com