Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:57:47 -0400
From:         David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Follow up on fuel lines (long)

Just a follow up to an earlier post asking for prices from our different online vendors for fuel line replacement. I ended up going with Bus Depot as they were able to ship quickly (overnight for an extra $47.00). They had all of the parts that I needed except the plastic firewall fitting. They later located this for me from a dealership-only one available that should arrive at their location any day now and will be held for me. I decided to go with this part even though mine was not broken during the replacement of the lines. I didn't want to risk any re-engineering that VW had done but that's just me. Ken at Van-Again also had similar prices for all of the same parts. Look to spend approximately $170.00 from either for all that is needed. I didn't have the funds but would have liked to have replaced the fuel guage sending unit while I had the tank down but mine is still working so I let that go for now. I would count on at least 6 hrs. to replace all of the lines from the tank to the injectors. What took me a bit more time was fumbling with the fuel line clamps that just barely fit over the hoses and would not fit over the hose when it went over some of the fittings that were enlarged at the end to help hold on the hose. I also had the benefit of a large standing hydraulic transmission jack to hold the tank up and a lift to get the van up in the air. This job would be a BEAR on the side of the road. I ended up buying 20 fuel line hose clamps and needed about 6 more that were a larger size (FLAPS). I also bought about 5 more feet of fuel line from the parts dept. at the Honda dealership where I work to replace the vapor lines going to the expansion tanks at each front wheel. That means that you will need a total of about 22 feet to do the entire job. I would also recommend Bennyboy's site on this job for any particulars if this is your first time (like me). I would also recommend retightening the clamps after driving as they seem to loosen slightly-my techs here at Honda tell me that this is not abnormal with a fuel line clamp. What really impressed me with the original fuel line (Conti brand) was that after 17 yrs. and 245,000 miles that it had no cracks. It has never been replaced before as I have all of the previouse sevice records from the previous owner?up to?105k when I bought thte van. The good news is that this is the same brand that Bus Depot supplied me with. I would therefore highly reccomend Bus Depot or?a supplier that stocks the Conti brand of fuel line.

David Clarkson 90?Westy (245k)

? ________________________________________________________________________ Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail! - http://mail.aol.com