Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Oct 2007 16:30:17 -0400
From:         Joe Federici <joefederici@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      West Systems G-flex: plastic repair

This is a new type of epoxy made by west systems for plastic, marketed for kayak and canoe repairs. It will also harden in water. THe products been on the market since July but just now showing up in marine stores.

I used some this weekend to repair the corners of the late model overhead AC duct and it worked out really well. If you've got some plastic repairs I would highly recommend it. You can buy it a kit form from West marine for about 20.00. It will will work with any of the west systems fillers and can be tinted.

If anyone wants to see a picture I took some before I sanded it.

JFF

Here's what west systems has to say.

650-8 G/flex Epoxy A toughened, versatile, liquid epoxy for permanent waterproof bonding of fiberglass, ceramics, metals, plastics, damp and difficult-to-bond woods. With a modulus of elasticity of 150,000 PSI, it is a bit more flexible than standard epoxies and polyester, but much stiffer than adhesive sealants. This gives G/flex the ability to make structural bonds that can absorb the stress of expansion, contraction, shock and vibration. It is ideal for bonding dissimilar materials. It can be modified with West System fillers and additives, and used to wet-out fiberglass tapes and fabrics. Mixed at a 1:1 ratio, G/flex gives you 45 minutes of working time at room temperature. It reaches an initial cure in 7 to 10 hrs and full cure in 24 hrs. Click for more information. (8 fl. oz. / 236 mL)

http://www.westsystem.com/