Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Oct 2007 22:05:48 -0700
From:         Kyle Davis <davis_family_46168@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Weekend Westy Recap

Hey all,

Just dropping a status line.

No, I haven't fixed the screen window yet.

No, I haven't received the rear hatch lifters yet (and have seem some others go for cheaper on eBay.)

Yes, I believe I still have the high bid on an 84 door handle.

My father came down and looked at the Vanagon. He said he'd get me a set of new tires for it for X-Mas. We also measured it, and deduced that it should fit in the garage, once things get cleaned up out of there.

At our local wal-mart, my wife and I were pleased to notice a normal-size Motor Coach Home pulling (of all things) a Westy camper! Of course, I had to go over and say Hi! Turns out, they had purchased it in 1988. They still had the original tables, etc. He said they had put over 300K on it before getting the big one. He said last season, they towed his truck around, but this season, she missed the westy so they pulled it around instead.

The only accoutrements he had to tow it was a heavy-duty towbar (not a reese class II, some other type of application that supports up to 10,000 pounds!) He also ran a unique one-off wiring job to do the turn signals and brake lights.

He said, he almost could get by with a normal class-3 reese, but sometimes, when coming out of a driveway, the front wheels of the westy would catch, and he would basically have to "sort it out." I conjectured that it may have something to do with power steering, but he said his didn't have power steering.

Anyhow, if you're on the Vanagon list, I hope I didn't scare you here in Plainfield, IN. I just had to stop because I thought it was cool, and it answered a question I was going to posit to the list, about using the Vanagon as a tow-vehicle.

But, to end this message with a question, as I always seem to do, I got the courage enough to open up the bagged set of curtains that the previous owner had supplied.

To my elation, they had been washed (probably by machine, against the List suggestions, assuredly) and they had even taken the time to take out all of those little plastic curtain hooks out of each curtain, and only managed to put back in half. Also discovered was the one-off front curtain set, and the screen set for the back door, and the screen set for the skylight. Opening this bag of clean curtains and window treatments basically opens up another can of worms for questions for the list, but I'll try to be succinct (hey, there's a first time for everything, isn't there ;-)?

1.) These plastic curtain hooks look very fragile. Part plastic, part rubber, and part entropy. Any list members have any success in replacing them with something more heavy duty, perhaps metallic-based?

2.) Was overjoyed to discover the skylight and the velcro strap. Was disheartened to realize how horrid the velcro stood up over time, in that the velcro screen barely holds it up there. Has anybody had experience in putting in fresh velcro on the top to get the velcro screen to stay? Any tips or tricks I should look out for?

And lastly,

3.) Many of the curtains have button-snaps, or holes where button-snaps have been. Is it that big of a deal for the button-snaps to be replaced? Also, if I get the camper supplement owners manual, does it make it pretty obvious which curtains go where?

Till next time

Kyle

____________________________________________________________________________________ Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games. http://sims.yahoo.com/