Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Oct 2007 22:36:00 -0400
From:         Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>
Subject:      looking at 91 Vanagon GL

Hi all,

Just joined the list -- I went to look at a 1991 Vanagon GL for sale near here, it seems solid. There are a few interior and exterior cosmetic issues, but nothing really out of the ordinary for a 16 year old vehicle. More significantly, the shifter linkage is sloppy, hard to find the gears but it shifts and drives well otherwise. I see there is a "gear shift repair kit" available:

http://catalog.worldpac.com/buymb/wizard.jsp?header=header.jsp&footer=footer.jsp&partner=buymb&clientid=buyeuroparts&baseurl=http://www.buyeuroparts.com/&cookieid=27J1BJHBW27J1BJSKD&year=1991&make=VW&model=VAN--003&category=All&part=Gear+Shift+Repair+Kit

Would that likely restore a more precise shifter feel?

I found two recalls on this model year, one related to a fuel hose clamp, and one related to the center air duct. Will dealers still honor those? The center air duct is sagging in a way that matches the problem description in the recall notice, so I'd like to get that fixed if I decide to buy the van.

Also, I'm a little concerned about crashworthiness, there seems to be very little in front of the driver in these vehicles. Can anyone comment on that?

Any other common problems I should check for? I asked about head leaks and seller says there is no sign of any problem right now; the engine has had new heads installed.

I'm also going to look at a 2002 Eurovan -- I know it's difficult to directly compare these vehicles, certainly the prices are in two different ballparks, but am interested if there are any significant issues with that model as well.

Many thanks,

Allan