Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:22:19 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: What size/ brand tire are ppl using on 2wd w/ SA 15" rim
Comments: To: TC <trclark@SHAW.CA>

I've got SA alloy wheels.

On one van I have 205/65R15 tires. On another I have 215/75R15. On yet another I have 225/70R15.

The 205/65R15 is very close to stock tire size for most Vanagons.

The 225/70R15 is larger and the 215/75 is just a hare larger than the 225/70.

Brands? Vredestein Comtrac (summer only tire) in 205/65R15. Nice sturdy and very quiet tire. Vredestein Winter Comtrac (snow tire) in 225/70R15. Nice sturdy and very quiet tire BFG AT T/A ko in 215/75R15. Great off road tire. Surprisingly quiet when new but gets noisier as they wear.

I also have some 16" tires (215/75R16) Nokian Hakkapellita CS. Similar in design to the Vredestein Winter Comtracs, but all season tires. MUCH noisier than the Vredestein. Very sturdy tire.

If you can afford a second set of rims and want quiet tires, I'd recommend the Vredesteins. If you want the simplicity of a single set of all season tires, The Nokians would be my recommendation, despite the added noise factor.

If you go on dirt roads a lot, I'd suggest the BFGs. I'd also recommend the BFGs if you are one the person that gets curb rash and want to switch to alloy rims. The BFGs have a nice rim protector design that I love.