Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:51:46 -0700
From:         BA <oddstray@ODDSTRAY.COM>
Subject:      Re: Weekend Westy Recap

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 22:05:48 -0700, you wrote:

>1.) These plastic curtain hooks look very fragile. >Part plastic, part rubber, and part entropy. Any list >members have any success in replacing them with >something more heavy duty, perhaps metallic-based?

I'd be interested, if any such exist. In the meantime, the plastic ones are available from either Bus Depot or Go Westy (I don't remember where we got ours).

>2.) Was overjoyed to discover the skylight and the >velcro strap. Was disheartened to realize how horrid >the velcro stood up over time, in that the velcro >screen barely holds it up there. Has anybody had >experience in putting in fresh velcro on the top to >get the velcro screen to stay? Any tips or tricks I >should look out for?

What we realized is that it's not the velcro on top of the van that's knackered ... it's the velcro on the bug-mesh/curtain. So we bought a replacement one from either Go Westy or Bus Depot. It doesn't look the same as the original, but *shrug*.

>3.) Many of the curtains have button-snaps, or holes >where button-snaps have been. Is it that big of a >deal for the button-snaps to be replaced? Also, if I >get the camper supplement owners manual, does it make >it pretty obvious which curtains go where?

I don't remember that the camper manual talks about curtains at all. Replacing the button-snaps shouldn't be difficult. They're standard stuff that any sewing store (for example, a Yardage Town) should be able to provide. If it turns out that you can't solve the curtain puzzle, post again and then I'll go and measure each of ours (I don't remember whether your's is close in age to ours, but hopefully that would be close enough).

If I remember, I'll measure the curtains over the weekend and add the info to the Vanagon wiki.

S remembers that on ebay someone is selling patterns for curtains for a '68-'79 camper. Two auction numbers are:

ebay: 68-79 120172402205 ebay: 68-79 120172402023

or you can search ebay for +Westfalia +curtain to find them.

B&S '87 Westy 'Esmerelda Blanc' SoCal