Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:07:51 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: looking at 91 Vanagon GL
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

Allan,

In my experience the normal cause of sloppy shifter can be found in the rear set of linkage right at the side of the transmission. I have a repair kit for these parts that is $124 *(shifterkit2). Usually the ball and cup wear out and this causes extra play in the shifter mechanism. Replacing them along with a bushing in the back, lubing everything and then replacing the boot to keep the new lube in place will tighten things back up. The front shifter should probably also be rebuilt if it has never been done as it is composed of some plastic parts that can fail because of age. The shifter will drop down and you won't be able to shift. I have this shifter kit available as well for $71(shifterkit1).

The rear kits will only work on waterboxer Vanagons including Syncros. They will not work on diesel Vanagons or air cooled Vanagons (just to be as clear as I can be).

Let me know if I can help you further, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Allan Streib wrote: > Anyone familiar with that "gear shift repair kit" and/or other > remedies for a sloppy shifter? > > Also curious about the recalls -- I'd assume the dealer would honor > them if they've never been done? > > Allan > >