Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:20:19 -0400
From:         Joe Federici <joefederici@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: hot water heater

The only heat exchanger units I've seen are the isothurm and made for marine use. They take up more space then the Atwood. I'd really need to measure it out but I think the Atwood would fit just above the heater and to the back side of the water tank. I don't use the van much once the snow falls so winter use isn't to much of an issue. I'd just like it for washing and showers. Yes I said showers. This is an Adventurewagen.

JFF

On Oct 24, 2007, at 12:04 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote:

Why would you want a "Hot" water heater? if the water is already hot, why heat it more? I am extremely familiar with he Suburban and Atwood water heaters. These are the RV industry staple. The precision temp is rarely used by an OEM. Price and complexity. They are fairly large and you need a good propane supply, especially for winter use. They use ~.5 gallon propane per hour and will ~15-20 minutes to go from cold to full hot. The tank part goes inside and you get a big ugly door on the outside. Isn't your water tank behind the drivers seat? You may want to find something smaller or consider a heat exchanger type using engine coolant as the heat source.

Dennis