Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Oct 2007 20:33:09 -0400
From:         TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Sputter, Sputter, Cough, Cough, Die. (no, not my ex wife...)

First of all, MUCH thanks to all who responded to my previous post last week (Joel Walker, Zoltan, Ken Wilford [Even though your in Jersey..Yes, I can say that since I grew up there.], and last but not least Dennis Haynes. Turns out the 91 that had some serious hesitation problems needed some clamps on the hose that goes from the PCV stack to the AFM boot. Funny thing was, it drove fine for several weeks including a trip from Florida to Maine and not one damn problem. Go figure... Second, if that subject line bothered you, too bad. It's my post and as long as it's clean, it's cleared hot. Third, I got another driving problem. This time, it's an 87 GL. Just had the full work over (new radiator, h20 pump, cap, rotor, plugs, wires) and now it drives like crap. It's super hard to start (like 15-40 seconds of rotation and trys to catch) but barely does and when it does it's just hanging on at around 500 rpm. If you give it any gas, be it just a bit or WOT, it coughs and dies. When you get it start (more like IF) you can hear what sounds like muffled misfires, like it's firing at the bottom of the stroke. It's that unmistakable sound if you've ever heard it. Like a muffled popping. The whole time it's missing certain cylinders and coughing. It only smooths out if you work it up to 4k or more on the tach and even then you might hear it rough. It stranded me a few times today and that's getting real old. I went through all the vacuum lines (again) and the AFM boot connections--No luck. I swapped the AFM from the 87 Syncro but the EXACT same problem so it's 99% not that (I got another from an 87 that I'll try out of desperation. If you get going down the highway, you'd never notice anything was wrong. I have a spare (used) O2 sensor but the DSPO (you figure it out or I'll p-mail you) welded the bung AND the sensor head into the exhaust on a hack job so I have to cut it out. I disconnected it just to put in the "limp home" mode but NO difference what so ever. Don't all jump on the bus (no pun intended) but I'm thinking fuel filter and/or pump. Only thing is, I've had pumps fail before and they usually go at a very certain point with a cut out and surge and then finally give up the ghost a short time later. Maybe a temp sensor??? Anyhow, someone throw me a bone. I'm done. You can pmail or go to the list for a reply.

Thanks, TJ