Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:33:36 -0400
From:         Walt Spak <b20swalt@CITY-NET.COM>
Subject:      Re: questions about automatics
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Dennis,

Thanks for the quick reply. I would expect the cable to be original at 74,000 miles, so I haven't touched it yet. The adjustment piece that attached the rod to the throttle body had been broken of by the PO's mechanic. It had about 3 mm. of thread left & no lock nut. I tried to buy a new one, but they are NLA. I repaired the old one by drilling out the larger diameter part, tapping & adding in a piece of 6mm X 1.0 hardened all-thread. I had to estimate the length, but think that I got it pretty close. There is plenty of adjustment available.

That said, I can feel the kick down & feel the detent. And, the car does "kick down" very properly. I made the adjustment according to the proceedure in the Bently manual after identifing the transmission. I believe I am ok with all of that.

I was mostly curious about the speedo face. Thanks for clarifying.

Do you know what the maximum speeds are for a given gear?

Walt