Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:58:45 -0600
From:         vanagonvw <ac.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Head bolts, studs turning?

Hi folks,

I am working the engine on my 81 air cooled.

I have my engine out, and in a place where I can start digging in and replacing the head(s) I wish I had an engine stand, but I am not sure one would work without a bellhousing. Anyone ever try to rig an engine stand to the case? Dunno if it would be a good idea.

For those who have pulled the heads, I am not quite ready to unbolt the head, but I did put a socket on the top four and twist a bit, and they all turned slightly, without too much effort, and then it got really hard, so I figured that was enough and I would go back to pulling tin, and doing the exhaust side of things.

Will the studs turn? I have PB blasted the bolts, and will continue to do so, but they are pretty rusty, and it wouldn't suprise me to find that they are so tight, that the studs start to turn.

Is that likely, and if so, what should I do about it, and how to proceed. I ask ahead of time, as I will probably be doing that part late at night, and there will be no one to ask, so I appreciate any and all advice in that area.

I have to put in a positive review for a Crafstman Tool called "Bolt Out" without which, I would never have gotten the tin screws out of most of the main piece that covers the cylinder on the top. After cursing and swear, and doing all I know how, to get the last two SOB's out, I got the right size "socket" from the kit, hammered it over the now mangled screw head, and it pretty well turned that thing right out. Made me very happy :-) For as much as I admire VW engineering, the fact that those fasteners are screws rather than nuts pretty well proves that not everyone who designed the product knew what they were doing. <shrugh> It appears to me, that the worst part of the job is getting those screws out and getting the tin out of the way, and then back on. PITA, no matter who says its not a big deal.

John

P.S. do water cooled also have studs the same as the air cooled?