Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:12:14 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Would like some advice, re: clutch release bearing
Comments: To: vanagonvw <ac.vanagon@gmail.com>

If the release bearing turns easily, but doesn't spin a lot and/or it rattles while doing it) then it should be fine. I'm pretty sure that under normal conditions, a release bearing should be good for *at least* 25k miles.

Is the needle (pilot) bearing in good shape?

IIRC, that part is not too much money and is something easily overlooked when one replaces the clutch. Personally I replaced that and the felt ring when I did my clutch.

Hopefully a receipt of work you had done will show if this part replaced or not.

Cheers,

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" (Bustorius)

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

On 10/26/07, vanagonvw <ac.vanagon@gmail.com> wrote: > I have the Bentley and a Clymer manual. Bentley shows great details, but > gives little info on 'how to' The clymer offers some how-to, but > incredibly, when it comes to the release bearing, it refers to pictures > that are not in the book :-) > > Mine is an 81 air cooled. The clutch and bearing were replaced about 25K > miles or so ago and have shown no indications of any issues. Yesterday, > I took the engine out for head replacements, and since its sitting > right there staring at me, I figure its time well spent to take a look > at the bearing. I am reticent to play with anything that is working > fine, so I seek advice as to what to look for, how to possibly remove > the bearing for inspection if that is deemed necessary, and what kind of > lube and/or cleaning to perform on it, or on the input shaft. Bits and > pieces of manuals declare "do not grease" parts of the assembly, so I > just want to be sure what is right and what is wrong. > > Its been two decades since I was tearing apart motors and transmissions, > and even then, none of them was a VW, so I am hoping there may be some > writeups, or pictures on a link somewhere, and maybe someone can share > what they know about inspecting the parts. > > Please note that if I could afford it, I would just replace the bearing > and call it good, but that is not an option, as the van's budget is > already over the top with a new clutch slave cylinder and CV boot on top > of the head replacement. > > If I have my way, I will be able to do a Boston Bob or some other new > engine in about a year, and I am confident that if I don't mess up the > bearing by checking it out, it will be fine until then. > > Any advice or suggestion would be gratefully accepted. > > Thanks a lot, > > John >