Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:18:06 -0700
From:         Jeff Gilbert <gilbert_jeffd@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Hard start, rough idle, stalling

Hey gang,

My 87 syncro has been running pretty smooth for quite a while. It has been having some vanagon syndrome like symptoms, ie constantly hicups around 3200 RPMs, but in general running good.

Monday I had her all packed up as the fires approached and when the flames got within about 200 yards of our house I started her up and drove out of the neighborhood.

Everything seemed fine with the van.

It was running for about an hour, and running fine, as I kept coming back to the house to check on things etc.

Suddenly it seriously lost power, esp uphill.

I was able to get to about 55mph and evacuated to a friends house about 30 miles away with no stalls.

The next morning it wouldnt start unless I gave it a lot of gas as I cranked.

Once started the idle was rough at it would stall out, or barely hang on.

Again, able to get it home at about 55mph, but lackluster power, no stalls.

Tried to start it this morning, same thing. Disconnected the 02 sensor and it started right up, but with a low idle. Drove around the neighborhood with good power.

Got back in later with 02 still disconnected and it would start again without giving a lot of gas I a cranked. Rough idle and stalling.

I have reconnected and redisconnected the 02 sensor since, and it is still hard to start, rough idle, and stalling with the 02 connected or disconnected..

Any suggestions? I don't have a digitool anymore as my ECU fried about a year ago.

My AFM isnt all that old, and I do have the special connector for vanagon syndrome.

Thanks in advance,

jeff