Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:56:08 -0400
From:         Karin Baker & Raymond Paquette <raymondpaquette@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Most Outrageous Vanagon Stealth Camping Spots?
Comments: To: John Goubeaux <john@ucsb.edu>

I parked my '64 in a cornfield in Mexico. Woke up early to these very creepy loud scraping sounds, and felt the van being bumped around.

Scared. Did the only reasonable thing I could think of. Hid under the covers. More scraping. Chewing sounds. Waiting. Sound of something like a creaky door swinging back and forth.

Finally got up my courage to peek out. Surrounded by thirsty cows, licking the heavy morning dew off of my van. Ever seen the thirsty cows in Baja, with the cactus hanging from thier faces? One had licked my fiberglass air scoop too vigorously, it had broken loose and was swinging back and forth.

Things sound different at night.

Raymond

ps-John, did you know that a government official nicknamed "Chapulin" was videotaped shooting a journalist in Oaxaca. Apparently that and photos printed in the local papers aren't evidence enough for a charge, let alone conviction. Just heard it on "Democracy Now" a few days ago.

On 10/30/07, John Goubeaux <john@ucsb.edu> wrote: > > All this talk of "stealth camping adventures" brings me back to my more > youthful days driving around Mexico in my green 63 split window > van, nicknamed "el chapulin". My Mexican girlfriend at the time, Nela > Zuazua, and I decided to go for an overnight up in the Sierra in > Northern Puebla, > close to where we lived. We ended up parking on the edge of some > cornfield at some ungodly hour of the night and after getting high and > what > I remember as a night of endless pleasure rolling around in the back, we > fell fast asleep. At the crack of dawn we were rudely rousted by loud > banging > on the van and voices. > > Before we even had time to jump to, and get our cloths on, we saw the > withered faces of several toothless campesinos pressed up against the > fogged > up windows of the van, no doubt all the more pleased to see two white, > butt naked bodies in the back. I still remember their huge smiles and > friendly > morning greetings as well as wondering at the time "what the hell do > these guys want" ? Fortunately they were not the "machete wielding > types" and > were only curious as to what a "hippy van" was doing in their cornfield. > > Tom Buese wrote: > > Weekending in Santa Barbara makes moi wanna stealth camp just for the > > hell of it. What are some of the most outrageous vanagon related > > stealth campsites this esteemed group has tried? > > > > Tom B.-The Loop in Chicago was nice >