Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:13:24 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Saving an OEM faucet (a bit long)

After reading Tom's article on the SHURFlo faucet, I wish I had one--except I do connect to "city" water way out in the country about half the time I camp.

Tom's website talks about having to fix two OEM faucets, about the same rate of failure I experience over the last four years. First time, I bought a GoWesty replacement. About a year ago I filed a post lamenting the lack of quality in the OEM faucet, and wondering if GoWesty would do anything about replacing it.

A few days later, when I called GoWesty, the helpful guy there (his name escapes me) admitted the problem, always a relief, and offered a replacement at half price if I sent mine back. Since that would have left me without one during prime camping time, I decided to invest an afternoon to fix the faucet's two interrelated problems. One, the faucet wouldn't work on city water. Two, the switch to the on-board pump worked unpredictably. The problem in both instances seemed to be that there was a disconnect between the turning of the handle and the operation of the switch and valve that it was connected to. It had a rubber feeling, like there was a drag and then a slight return of the faucet to the wrong direction when letting go. A little bounce-back that forced the operator to keep a steady hand on the knob at all times.

While I ended up taking apart and cleaning the checkvalve assembly at the water inlet in the side of the camper as part of the solution, I also took the knob off of the pump handle and made two improvements there. First, I lubricated the inner workings of the mechanism with silicon (not oil, which is destructive to rubber and plastic and you don't want in your water, but silicon from a little tube that lubricates the O-rings of a camping stove, available at any camping outfitters). It's been a year, so I don't remember exactly what I did, but I just applied it to the obvious openings and surfaces where it could make it down inside the mechanism. Silicon from a swimming pool supply would surely work as well.

As put the knob back on the mechanism, I noticed that a crack had developed in the recessed part that fits over the stem of the main unit. The crack allowed the plastic cap to move, making accurate rotation of the valve impossible. The crack had obviously been formed by trying to fight the dragging force of the inner workings of the valve. To remedy this, I filled the area around the inverted cap with JB weld poured in and let it harden, the re-assembled. This gave much more "meat" to the knob, and only filled unused space under the knob anyway.

Since the fix a year ago, the valve operation has been easy and precise and has worked at it was obviously intended in both modes. I have never encountered any of the few drops of lubricant I used, obviously, since it was not on the "wet" side of the valve.

Jim