Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:10:43 -0700
From:         Richard Atwell <ratwell@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: UPS BROKERAGE FEES TO CANADA - RATE CHART

On Oct 30, 2007, at 9:25 AM, Riger wrote:

> Here are the figures for UPS brokerage fees charged to shipments > from the USA to Canada. I contacted UPS Canada at 1-800-263-8125 > and got them.The folks at this number can also give out information > on dutys, ect.

> Figures are in Canadian dollars. Figure is for the value of item > shipped to Canada.

UPS publishes the numbers on their website:

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/ customs_clearance.html

What exchange rate are they using for the numbers they gave you (I bet that's a UPS scam as well ;-)

I have been advised by my Canadian friend who works at Fedex the following in order to avoid all brokerage charges. You have to spend some money on gasoline to claim your package but that's the way it goes.

- setup an account with Fedex - ship using your account number when possible to avoid shipping markups (pay the published rate) - ship every package with the note: Hold at Location - deny any packages that arrive at your door (sometimes note is ineffective) and request they take them to the depot for pickup - goto depot, request paperwork to clear customs yourself (you're right since you have not declared them to be your broker) - goto CSBA, pay PST/GST - go back to Fedex with completed CSBA paperwork and claim package.

Voila, no brokerage paid. The same technique can be used with UPS.

He also mentioned that while brokerage is included in the shipping cost when you ship air vs. ground, Fedex still charges $7 or 2.5% of duty (whichever is more) to advance funds to CBSA unless you broker the package yourself.

-- Richard, '78 Westfalia CDN '76 Doublecab http://www.ratwell.com/