Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:37:33 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: That "peppy" 2.2L
Comments: To: Maggie Dew <wildebus@GMAIL.COM>

Interesting that race Maggie! You did good :-)

I have seen 1 Audi convestion so far in the shop, in my case, it was... horrible, but it could have been so nice if done a bit nicer, i have seen the same with older Subi's, ugly stuff!

Just for the sake of this little polite discussion, we tried again yesterday, i remove all the water from my water tank, fix and set my new 7k Jetta RPM, and this time: both vans where going about 15mph, we hit the gas pedal and... sadly for the 2.2L, it was behind! when i hit the third gear, the little 2.2L gold westy was very small in my rear view mirror.

We did that on a small closed road.

Since my conversion, i already did over 10k miles, rarely going over 70-75mph and reving under 3700rpm. The main reason of a conversion is not only more power, far from it, but reliability! A 2000+(year) power plan is the way to go to maintain those Vanagons on the road for a long time.

If i think again, i ride my van way slower an harder than before? With the stock engine, you alway need 90% of the power.

Even if we have master the 06-07 Subi 2.5L technology, we are lloking at other Subi powerplant for the future, like the XT, WRX, STI and H6.

For my part, next year, the Red Tornado van will have a STI. Just for fun.

As for fuel efficiency VS power, the 2.5L (2000-2004) is dificult to beat, that is one reason i'm keeping this one for my upcomming Mexico trip.

Cheers, Ben http://www.benplace.com/subaru_ej_25.htm