Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:39:24 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 120A or 150A Alternator Source?

Winhes can pull a ot of current and no alternator will support that for any lenght of time. You really want to put the winch on the secondary battery with as direct and large a connection as possible. Then the ultimate charge control would be a combining, voltage controlled relay. The operation would be as follows:

Enigne running, normal charging voltage will connect the 2 battery banks.

As the winch is used, when alternator fails to keep up, combiner will drop out allwing alternaotr to restore mani battery and as mani battery voltage increases relay will again close to transfer some power to the auxillary. Yes, while winchng there will be some cycling going on.

This will avoid alternator burn out and dead battery. Auxillary/winching battery or battery bank should be as large as affordable, fittable as you can get.

Consider a fast idle control of some sort to step up the rpm when needed. If you have room you may want to consider one of the full size truck style alternoators. I don't know what belt drive you have but if a single v-belt that will also limit how large an alternator you can actually turn.

Dennis