Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:38:00 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Weekending in Santa Barbara?
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

North of Ventura is the turn off to "Old PCH" (locally called both the "Rincon Beach Highway" and PCH). The freeway sign indicates "Beaches" and is actually a stretch of signed CA SR1. The stretch of highway north of Faria Beach Colony is "on the beach side of road" camping for the motorhome crowd for about a mile stretch. it is NOT free, operated by Ventura County and is about $15 per day, maybe less during the "off season". Each spot is marked with a number - you go to the pay stations every 1/4 mile (or less), fill out a form envelope with the number, deposit your check or cash in the station box and go back to your spot. 14 day limit (I believe) with a 7 day "stay away period" before you camp/park again. Most of the rest of the highway has free day-use parking clearly signed "No Parking between 2am and 6am", but there are also "No Parking" areas along the way, again clearly posted.

Sometimes I go up there on the weekends if a spot can be found, but it's clearly for the "land yacht" crowd. -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On 10/29/07, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: > > While discussing camping around Santa Barbara maybe someone familiar with > the area can answer a question that has been bugging me for over a year. > I was traveling northbound on 101/PCH somewhere north of Ventura, probably > just north of Santa Barbara. I was on 101 and saw a sign the directed to > the Old PCH or something like that. I took the exit. As best as I can > recall at the end of the off ramp I took a sharp left back under the > freeway > AND under the railroad tracks. The Old PCH headed north from there for a > couple of miles then dead ended. I ended up back on 101 and continued on, > camping at El Capitan that night. BUT, I passed a long stretch of free > camping along the beach side of the PCH! About a mile long it appeared, > quite a few 'land yachts' deployed, tow vehicles detached, slide outs out, > obviously camped to dtay for some time. Even Sani Cans set up at several > places and garbage cans. I should have stopped there or come back to that > location but but continued on instead. > Since than I've wanted to be able to tell people about this spot of free > camping along the PCH but have never been able to pin it down on the map. > I've even used Google Earth to try to find the place. The closest I've > come > to finding a stretch that looks like it might be that spot is north of > Ventura and south of Santa Barbara but my recollection is that I was north > of Santa Barbara at the time. > Anyway, does this sound familiar to anyone? Where the hell was I?