Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Nov 2007 21:26:52 -0600
From:         James AYRES <jamesa2@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Coughing no go at start up off lights and stuff...

Guys

I have an '85 1.9 wasserboxer 208, 000 kms second rebuild, and am experiencing some problems in , well , pickup. When the van is warm it coughs at take off. It's consistent and persistent too. It seems as if it's choked and getting either too much gas or too little. I have tried lots of stuff, new plugs, new distributor, new air filter, new fuel filter, new gas and injector cleaner, new coil , new o2 sensor, new temperature sender. Compression is good on all four pots sitting at 135-145 psi which is within spec.

I was wondering if you have any suggestions.

The dealer cannot find the problem either. He says that it's heads and wants mega bucks to rebuild. It seems that it's the solution to all of the VW engine problems. I'm skeptical.

I say it's something I've missed.

Have you any experience. - thoughts...

PS all of my VW have over 200,000 kms all four speeds and the pickup is the only one that seems to do this.

I'm going to go Zetec by Bostig if I cannot fix this glitch...frustrating....I've go a line on a used engine.

The stable is getting full.... '85 DOKA - Bender '85 Vanagon GL - Carrie Van '85 Syncro - Mamie Van Doren - she's blonde! Never paid more than $2500 for any of them and loving all of them.

James Ayres