Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Nov 2007 22:39:10 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Friday NVC: Road Rage

>But first, a bit of background. The various governmental entities in >Australia maintain what many would consider rather agressive campaigns to >counter speeding, drunk driving, fatigue, and the like. It is common to >see large billboards displaying copy such as, "Up to $2000 fine for >speeding. How fast are you going now?" Extensive use is also made of >speed cameras, which by use of optical character recognition combined with >radar, can instantaneously identify and photograph a vehicle traveling in >excess of the speed limit. Newer systems can also detect vehicles that >have traveled from a given point, to points farther down the road in too- >short of an elapsed time for the speed limit posted, again evidence of >speeding. This can all take place without your knowledge, and you will >likely not be stopped; the citation for speeding just arrives in the mail >days later, and the registered owner of the vehicle is the responsible >party, no matter who may have been driving (thus no need for the photograph >to clearly identify the driver). In short, these programs are very >agressive, and generally effective in combatting the behavior targeted, >though many argue it's more about generating revenue than promoting >safety. Given that background, read the following article; it tickled my >funny bone, and many here may find it humorous as well.

Yeah, the Aussie government rakes in millions every year. Gravy train. They claim that their "speed kills" campaign has reduced the road toll... but that's jiggered statistics. The reality is that speed is not what's causing accidents.

Fatigue... is caused by spending too long on the road. Guess what low speed limits do... make you take longer to get somewhere, causing sleepiness. This is one of tha major killers.

The others are plain inciompetence and ignorance.

Unfortunately speedcameras are making lots of money in NZ too.

Of course the governments have a vested interest in "being seen to do something", and ignorant/irrational emotional public opinions based on nothing don't help at all.

Big Brother is watching you! -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut ‚ Opinions stated are mine, not of the University of Otago "There is water at the bottom of the ocean" - Talking Heads