Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Nov 2007 06:33:14 EST
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Extend a stay
Comments: cc: colorworks@GCI.NET

In a message dated 03/11/2007 10:09:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

I was speaking more of larger, 5 pounds and up, propane cylinders. I too carry the smaller cylinders to run my coleman stove. As to this filling apparatus for the 1 pound bottles, I saw one up on eBay for around $15. Not sure if this is a good price or not. The one interesting thing it said, is it could also be used in reverse to fill an empty larger tank. See http://cgi.ebay.com/Propane-Refill-Adapter-Disposable-Bottle-Mac Coupler_W0QQitemZ260174869061QQihZ016QQcategoryZ2020QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

If this actually worked, seems like it would eliminate the need for the extend a stay all together. Have you tried using the device in this way?

Yes, the adapter can be used to move propane in either direction. The problem is that the tank with the propane has to be colder than the empty tank for this to work well. The extend-a-stay is not only for adding extra propane tanks. It allow one to use the same hose connection to connect devices in remote locations such as a Coleman stove on a picnic table. The reason I got this set up originally was when we did our first trip to Mexico a couple years back we were advised that the small one lb tanks were unavailable down there. So, since we did not want to spend the entire time cooking IN the Westy we decided to install a second tank under the slider and use a 12' hose to connect to the Coleman. Then when I installed my Propex heater I connected it to my second tank which then needed to be fitted with a regulator, so then to use my hose to go to my stove I installed the Extend-A-Stay. The filler device for the one pounders I had from before as I found it quite useful to fill the small tanks rather than always pitching them out and buying new ones . When I refurbish Westy propane tanks, I recuperate all or most all the propane left in the tank by the owner into all the one pound tanks I keep lying around for that purpose.

Now, more on my investigations on that Marshal Brass Extend-A-Stay. There seems to be a few variations. The one my customer brought here yesterday to have installed on his Eurovan Westy was similar to mine but not exactly the same. It had four connection ports, one port with auto valve connection for high pressure appliance hose connection which can be used to connect to another tank or appliance, one port to connect to the tank service valve, one port to go to the existing service such as the regulator and one port for hose or copper tube connection for going to a tank or an appliance with no auto valve. The Extend-A-Stay I have on my van does not have the port for hose or copper tube connection for going to a tank or an appliance with no auto valve. The benefits of having the four port model is that there are three that are threaded therefore you can swap the ends around and set it up for your particular needs. The port with the auto valve for hose connection to tank or appliance is the only one not threaded into the body. The end that goes to the regulator can be removed and a short straight nipple can be used to connect the regulator thus saving valuable space so that reconfiguration of the Westys copper service lines need not be as drastic as I mentioned yesterday and Denis pointed out. I can also do this with mine, however only in a 180 degree plane. I have also seen ones that the ports are not threaded so the ends are not re-moveable, that was what I was questioning yesterday. So be careful when you buy one, make sure you get the kind that has the re-moveable threaded ends.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 07 ~ 10, 2007