Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Nov 2007 12:47:50 -0800
From:         Vern in Bend <vernmcintosh@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Limited slip differential on ice or snow

FWIW, I can relate some 30-year experience with rear engine - rear drive experience with Positraction (Dana clutch-pack Limited Slip) differentials in ice and snow.

My WetWestie friends know that I drive a '64 Corvair Van, some of them also know that it has been my 'daily-driver' vehicle for the past 33 years. It is of course rear engine, rear drive, air-cooled. And it is equipped with Positraction.

I've lived here in the Oregon high desert for the past 30 years, and this is snow and ice country from late October until early April. (Well, it has been - I'm not so sure it will continue.) Many, many days of ice-covered roads every year, especially at 5:30 am when I drove to work. I drove van to work almost every workday for 30 years until I retired this past summer, certainly every bad-weather day. I worked at a hospital and often would go to pick up essential co-workers who could not get to work because of the conditions.

I've routinely driven through fresh snow as deep as the front bumper, I've driven through groups of stuck and sideways cars trying to get up large and small hills, past dozens of upside-down and upright 4x4 SUVs on the roads and in the ditches. I drove up and down the road to Mt. Batchelor Ski area dozens of times. I've had to resort to chains exactly twice - both times in freezing rain, and both times I could barely stand up on the ground in order to install the chains.

Most of the time I don't realize it is slick until I see other vehicles sliding around. I can 'test' the traction at will by breaking the rear tires loose with the accelerator, and I have NEVER experienced any odd behavior. The driving characteristic I notice and like the most is that anytime it does gets squirrely, I simply take my right foot up and the van will instantly straighten up, like throwing out a rear anchor.

I've wondered why Vanagons are generally not considered to be good in ice or snow, as the configuation is so similar and my Corvan is simply excellent. Perhaps because the Corvan has a 50/50 front/rear weight distribution instead of a front weight bias?

I honestly don't know how different it might be without the limited-slip diff, but I don't intend to go without it.

Vern McIntosh Bend, Oregon