Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Nov 2007 20:29:27 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Speedometer cable -- where does square start
Comments: To: Thomas Pfrommer <pfrommer@PHAS.UBC.CA>

That 3/16" clip should be in the groove on the cable and against the grease cap. Very little of the cable actually sticks outside the grease cap. As you observed, the square hole must be able to turn the square part of the cable.

Mike

Thomas Pfrommer wrote: > OK I think I should specify a bot more. yes it is 2WD. > From your reply I assume I see right to the bearing cap. it is still > kind of square, at least when I stick the speedocabel in from the > outside, it fits, not really tight but it fits, if I push it in a bit > further, it does not fit anymore. the question is where on the > speedocable the connection to the cap is, and how much "meat on the cap > is responsible for the square connection. After I removed the circlip > and pulled the cable out, I see the outside end of the cap is square, > how far in does this go and how can i tell if I should also replace this > cap and not just the cable. It seems to me that on the cable only about > 1mm of material just after the larger diameter ring should be square, in > other words, everything after this ring, should be square until the end? > At my cable there is a bout 1 m which looks kind of round ... > Thanks > Thomas > > Scott Daniel - Shazam wrote: >> Hi ~ >> The cable is driven by the square hole in the bearing cap, the first >> thing >> you see after removing a hub cap. >> Perhaps you have a bearing cap without a square hole in it, installed on >> your driver's side front wheel, instead of one with a square hole like >> you >> should have. >> I assume we're talking 2WD hear, and not syncro. That's a whole other >> situation. >> Perhaps the square end ( wheel end, not speedo end ) is worn 'round' >> where >> it should still be square and able to be driven by the square hole in the >> bearing cap. >> Scott >> www.turbovans.com >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On >> Behalf Of >> Thomas Pfrommer >> Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 2:43 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Speedometer cable -- where does square start >> >> Hi list, >> after reading a lot of threads regarding speedometer cables, it is still >> unclear to me where exactly the square part begins and where the >> counterpart in the hub is. I just pulled my speedocable, as it did not >> work any more, disconnected it first from the speedo and noticed it is >> the cable or the hub, as it did not turn while driving, just vibrated a >> bit. it is not broken, can turn it now after removing. Now there is the >> square part where the circlip groove is, then there is about 1mm more >> square material, then it looks to me about 1mm rounded square and then a >> 1mm wide ring with a bit larger diameter comes. is just the part before >> this ring responsible for the connection to the hub? If this cable is >> worn, how certain is it that the hub inner square is NOT worn? Is it >> necessary to pull somehow (How?) the hub in order to see? Or does the >> outer part of the hub (seems to me square as well, even though small >> worn corners appear as well just at the shell) also tale part in the >> responsibility of turning the cable? >> Poouuhh, I hope these question are at least half way clear, and thanks >> already in advance. >> >> I will order from GoWesty these parts, in addition i wanted to get some >> cupholders (and belts), where is the best place on the dash to put these >> holders? is the 3-4cm wide part just under the dash enough space to >> install these foldable cubholders? >> Thanks again >> >> Cheers >> Thomas >> >