Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Nov 2007 21:33:04 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tracing Electrical fault in Coach battery system? (lotta
              words)
Comments: To: Billy Hirt <zbillman@COMCAST.NET>
Comments: cc: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

On one of my vans, the head unit is currently (no pun intended) wired with the always hot and the switched wires using the same source. If I try to turn it off with the remote, the face stays powered up but if I turn it off at the unit it doesn't. Turning it off at the unit means I can leave the van for weeks at a time without worry of it running down the battery. It's powered by the house battery, by the way.

FWIW, I put a switch aft so that when using the bed I can interrupt power to the switched wire. That way I don't have to get out of bed and crawl forward to secure it at the head unit. It's not a 3-way so I have to have that switch on to use the head unit at all.

Mike

Billy Hirt wrote: > Don, > You should definitely make sure that the switched power line for the > stereo is switched and not hooked up to 12v direct. I have seen this > many times including my own vehicle. I simply put a toggle switch in > to stop it from drawing down my battery. These newer units tend to do > that. I have seen several times people just tying together the memory > feed and the main power feed. If having that fuse out does it then > you more than likely have found your problem. > Billy Hirt > > On Nov 4, 2007 8:39 PM, John Meeks <vanagon@gmail.com> wrote: >> Hi Don, >> >> Did you get any good advice via pmail? I've got almost the same setup >> and symptoms. If my van sits for one day, the coach battery is really >> low. >> >> I have found that if I disconnect the negative terminal of the aux, >> leaving the battery ungrounded, I can read voltage between the pos >> terminal and chassis ground. This could only be if a grounded >> appliance is drawin that current. >> >> You have the advantage with your terminal block as you can pull fuses >> one at a time till you get close to 0 volts between the + terminal of >> the coach battery and the chassis with the battery ground >> disconnected. My setup has a multiple spade terminal with fused wires >> going off in all directions. I run the interior lights, stereo, a >> small subwoofer and a mobile ham radio off the coach battery. I >> really need to sort this out. >> >> What did your re-test show with your stereo fuse pulled? >> >> Anyway, give the above a try. I'd be interested to know what you find. >> >> Good Luck, >> -- >> John Meeks >> >> '91 Multivan, '85 GL bits >> Northern Michigan >> KC8ZFN >> >> Vanagon Rescue Squad >> http://www.vanagonauts.com/Vanagon_Rescue_Squad74.htm >> >> >> On 11/4/07, Don Hanson <dhanson@gorge.net> wrote: >>> I am an electrical dunce. >>> >>> Can someone give me some instruction on how to trace down a fault with my >>> aux. battery that's causing it to go down in about 24 hours? I have a >>> simple Radio Shack multimeter with scales for DCV, Ohm, DCA and ACV. My >>> batteries are <2mos old and have never been run totally flat, but close on >>> the coach battery just recently. >>> >>> My van was sitting undriven for 2 days and I noticed as I passed my stereo >>> was 'beeping' at me, signifying low power. Took my meter (that I am just >>> learning) and tested the Aux. Batt. (which powers the stereo independent of >>> the ignition switch) and got 11.4 volts. Tested the vehicle engine batt and >>> got 12.94v. Started the van and the main battery read 13.9v, running. Went >>> to the coach battery, 13.8v. So it is charging (new alternator also) >>> Checked the function of the solenoid I am using..a canister type...that is >>> working also.. >>> >>> So, I put my battery charger onto the aux battery and left it overnight at >>> 2amp setting..Tested in the am at 12.7 volts..the aux battery was 'isolated' >>> for that reading. Drive the van about an hour and still have a good reading >>> at the aux battery. Park it and re-test that aux battery in the >>> evening...about 12.3 volts in just 4 hours of sitting..The vehicle battery >>> was at about 12.8. Re-started and again got good charging readings at both >>> batteries.. >>> >>> So, something is drawing some juice and making that coach battery go flat, >>> but I don't know how to run down that short or fault or whatever you call >>> it. I have the following set-up: >>> The aux battery is fed by a big solid wire going directly to a canister >>> type solenoid under the driver seat and then (solenoid "out" terminal) to >>> the aux. battery terminal. That solenoid takes it's switching power from >>> the ignition switch from a lead that is hot only when the vehicle ignition >>> is on. Starting the vehicle causes the solenoid to de-power when the >>> starter is cranking, then switch back on . I also have a second toggle >>> switch in that solenoid 'control' circuit so that if my coach, or Aux batt. >>> should be dead flat, I can send power only to the main vehicle battery, not >>> both. >>> >>> From the coach battery (under the driver seat) I have a big wire going to >>> a fuse block in the under-sink cabinet. That fuse block gives power to all >>> my electrical systems other than the normal vehicle operating systems. >>> (water pump, fridge, auxiliary interior lights, stereo, power outlets for >>> 12v) >>> Each in-use terminal is fused. No fuses are blowing. >>> >>> So, how do I find out which circuit is 'leaking electrons' and causing >>> that battery to drain? I should be able to use this millimeter to trace >>> where the power is escaping, right? Right now, I am thinking it may be the >>> stereo, which has a quite bright 'face' light that remains on (a small wire >>> is always 'hot' to retain the settings and run the clock). There is a >>> second wire for the main power..I have both these wires connected to the >>> same 20amp power terminal, always hot, powered from the coach battery. >>> ..Last night, I removed that stereo fuse and re-connected the 2 amp trickle >>> charger to the aux battery. Right now, after removing the charger about 45 >>> mins ago, I have a reading of 12.8 v on the aux battery after 10hrs at 2 >>> amps. I plan on re-testing in a few hours, and if I get 12.8v again, I >>> probably found the circuit with the "leak" right? >>> >>> It seems as if the stereo may be 'leaking juice'. How do I find that for >>> sure? I have tried (now, don't laugh, I said I was an electrical dunce..) >>> taking a reading from the lead > fuse block to the stereo...but it gives me >>> 'battery voltage"...Should I put my tester on the stereo chassis and to >>> ground to see how much is moving through, or what? >>> Also, there may be some operator error on the stereo, because I have no >>> manual and have relied on the "infinite number of moneys, infinite >>> typewriters--eventually you get the Declaration of Independence" method of >>> re-learning how to make it work...pushing buttons till it does what I want, >>> and then remembering what I pushed for the next time. I have tried >>> everything to get the light to go off on the dial/faceplate of the >>> stereo..(A Sony MD/am/fm receiver) but it always stays lit up, unless you >>> "release" that face using a button supplied, and put it in the glove >>> box...An anti-theft feature, I suppose, that 'quick-release face" It may be >>> that leaving the face plate on draws too much current and it was designed to >>> always be removed..or perhaps having the main stereo lead connected to aa >>> always "hot", unswitched lead won't work with this unit..I wired it that way >>> so I could use the stereo off the Aux batt. without having the ignition key >>> on..Maybe I should put another toggle switch into that larger stereo lead >>> wire, and leave only the small 'maintain-settings/clock' power lead >>> unswitched? >>> Sorry for the length of this.. >>> anybody wanna help a fellow who knows just enough about electrons to get >>> into trouble? >>> >>> Don Hanson >>> >