Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:58:33 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tracing Electrical fault in Coach battery system?
Comments: To: Richard A Jones <jones@colorado.edu>

OK, More on the "lost electrons"...I couldn't find any current flowing. I guess I am not doing the millimeter properly some how. Something so obvious that a 'real' trouble shooter wouldn't even think to explain it.

When I took off the ground strap to the aux battery and stuck in a test light instead, it would blink very faintly...I am thinking the clock of the stereo or something..When I take out the fuse, the blinking stopped. When I put back the fuse, the light goes real strong for a second or two, then back to the blinking faintly...

This a.m., after driving a few hour yesterday, the vehicle (main) battery had a full charge at 12.8 volts..the aux (coach) was again back down to 12.3 volts. It had a full charge last evening after my drive. I have it charging now and I put a toggle switch into the supply line to the stereo..(needed one to turn off the face plate light for sleeping anyhow) so I will re-charge the coach battery and then turn off the stereo power supply overnight tonight to see if indeed that stereo is causing the drain...

It escapes me how to measure the current that the stereo(or any of the fused circuits) is using, however. I have three different simple millimeters, two analog and one digital. I can never figure which scale to read or which setting to use on the analog ones, but the digital, I can. Except when I try to read DCA...I get nothing at all.. "0.00" comes up on the .2mA, the 20mA, and the 200mA settings..Zip..no indication that I am anywhere near an electron.. Don Hanson