Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Nov 2007 13:40:55 -0800
Subject:      GoWesty's headlight upgrade kit

I wonder how much of a difference these really make to the overall light output. It seems to me that you are still using the 15+ year old small gauge wiring and that the only thing that you are really doing is by-passing the high currently going through the headlight switch thus saving it and installing brighter bulbs to get more light output.

It would be interesting to get a back to back comparison of actual voltage at the headlight before and after installing the relays - I would suspect there won't be much of a difference due to V=IR losses. In other words the more currently you put through a wire the more voltage loss you get - these old wires will have a lot more resistance than new ones.

Assuming 20A of current through 2m of wire: 14 gauge (new) = 0.33 v drop

Adding some corrosion in there would double or triple the resistance easily resulting in a 0.7 v or so drop

http://www.stealth316.com/2-wire-resistance.htm explains a lot about this

What I have done is get some 8ga wire and went from the battery direct to behind the grille (install a fuse fuse at the battery!) then I installed some water proof 30A relays behind the grille one for low beam, one for high beam and one for my rallye lights. I used the original headlight connectors to trigger the relays and have new 12ga wiring to new terminal housings that plug into the back of the light.

Now when I turn on the lights there is almost no voltage drop between the battery and the lights and the lights are much brighter again - no current through my headlight switch or ignition switch - factory wiring is 100% uncut and can be turned back to original.

Using the above formulas and averaging at 10 gauge (most of the wire is 8ga - 30cm is 12ga) would result in a 0.1 v drop.

When you have only 13.4V to play with - every little counts!

David Marshall

http://www.hasenwerk.ca http://www.fastforward.ca

Box 4153, Quesnel BC, Canada V2J 3J2

On Mon, November 5, 2007 10:01, Stephen Grisanti wrote: > We ordered one of these on special last month and > Sunday was the day to install it. We&rsquo;re leaving for a > week in the Smokies soon and with the recent time > change better lighting in the mountains will be most > welcome. You can see captioned pix of the job at: >