Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Nov 2007 13:41:37 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch job... done properly
Comments: To: Kai Mei <kai@NEWCLEAR.US>

Just diving into the clutch in that case might not be the right thing to do. I had a similar thing....it was a vanagon with a subaru engine installation started. Pushing the clutch down , same thing, just stopped half way. I'm not sure why, but after I bled the clutch system......and connecting the slave cylinder that wasn't properly mounted yet, it fixed the problem. Never had to take the clutch area apart.

I also say that good workmanship is worth 9.9 on a scale of ten. And 'all new parts' is about a 5. I would not replace a transmission input shaft seal that isn't leaking, for example. In things that failed before they should, I find out in virtually 100 % of the cases - it was lousy workmanship that caused the failure. Here's a very common one. There's a little metal ring that goes in the middle of waterboxer flywheel, that holds the felt seal in place. I've seen so many of these missing it's silly. And you can not get this part ! What I think happens is the shop sends the flywheel out for resurfacing, the machinist removes the little ring and makes sure it goes under a workbench and gets lost forever. No one ever notices this ring is missing, they put it back together without it, clutch dust ruins the pilot bearing in a few years. I have seen this many times kids. Plane old 'lousy workmanship.' Good workmanship is the single most important factor in a car repair. After that I'd put quality parts. After that I'd put leaving not-broken things alone. And of course, we do want to maximize the cost/benefit ratio by replacing not-failed yet parts while a big thing is apart, like a trans off an engine, of course ! - but there's a balance. Putting in a Brazilian made trans input shaft seal ( for example ) , combined with careless workmanship, can create a problem where there wasn't one. I even cringe when I hear 'all new parts' .......replacing too many parts introduces problems sometimes that wouldn't have occurred. What I like to see is 'replaced all the parts that were due, with very high quality, usually german, parts. ' and with perfect workmanship. Like I lube at least 6 different little areas for a throw out bearing installation, for example. Really good workmanship - I can not overemphasize its importance, and it almost doesn't matter how much you pay for professional car work - a high price for the job is no guarantee at all that you'll get this critical ingredient, unfortunately. About just having workmanship and creativity to work with - Here's something that just fascinates me - - you're stuck in Mexico, all there is to work with is a collection of mismatched old clutch parts, and a nice collection of greases, various spooges, maybe some sandpaper.......where cleverness and workmanship are all there is to work with .... And if there's no margin for failure, like for some reason it just 'has to work' ...and perhaps the conditions are brutal - cold, hot, raining etc........especially when there are no margins, where having it not work is just not an option, like someone's medical health rides on it say..... That's when I'm really good - when the chips are down, and creativity is all there is to work with, and zero margins for failure - luv it ! Regular car repair in good conditions with quality parts is so boring in comparison. But .....PLEASE .....good workmanship ! the single most important ingredient, and it's not even that common, in my seldom humble opinion - lol ! Scott www.turbovans.com