Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Nov 2007 23:08:00 -0500
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Light

Thanks Scott that's good advice. I didn't realze that the valve was off until we turned on the blower last week and got only cold air. I've only had the bus running since March and not well until April or May. So I hadn't used the rear heat at all - never thought to check if it was on. I can't really see a need to shut it off (unless it's leaking I guess).

On 11/5/07, Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > > The first thought it that the valve under the back seat must be on at > least > about half all year round ! > If it's kept closed, coolant just sits in there and contributes to the > rear > heater core rotting out. > The least we can do is keep coolant circulating through it. > No heat comes out unless the fan is turned on of course. > So leave that valve at least half on, all the time, summer and winter. Or > full, but always 'some on' . > Your theory makes sense. > Scott > www.turbovans.com > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Jeff Lincoln > Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 12:47 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Coolant Light > > Ok folks - I think i already know the answer to this but I am hoping for > any > further insight. > > Driving back towards home this morning I noticed the collant light begin > to > blink - needle stayed where it normally is just below the light. I was > concerned because it has never ever ever come on before (well in the > approx > 1yr I've had it running). Now I pulled over and shut down for a few. > Checked > collant level all appears to be well. So I started her back up to see what > might happen and the light never returned. No signs of actual over > heating. > > So my though is this. I opened the valve (if that's the proper term) to > the > rear heater on Halloween night. I ran the blower breifly that night but > not > since. THen this morning it was cold and I had the hound in the back so I > turned that rear heater on full blast for him. I am thinking that since > the > valve was closed off and I really haven't used that heater much maybe > there > was some air hiding in there some where and I just need to bleed the > system. > > > What are your thoughts? > > -- > Thanks, > > Jeff > '90 Carat (Grover) > '86 (We call this one Parts) > '85 GL (Preparing to move to a new Home) > '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus > >