Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:42:36 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idea! Please review- Clutch Dies in Cold Weather
Comments: To: Ben Cichowski <cichowski@montana.edu>

What about a piece of 2x4 under clutch arm to keep it from moving?

Not sure if clutch MC would be damaged with either method.

Neil.

On 11/6/07, Ben Cichowski <cichowski@montana.edu> wrote: > OK, > > Thought of an idea to test to see if I am having trouble with the Slave vs. > the Master in cold weather. Please tell me if you think this will work... > > If I take a pair of locking pliers and GENTLY clamp off the rubber portion > of the fluid supply line serving the Slave....Then, if I push in on the > peddle and it is still soft, it tells me that the seals are leaking at the > master cylinder...but if it is hard, even on a cold morning, then it is > probably the seals on the slave leaking...right? (I'm not looking at the van > right now, so I may be over looking something in my head) > > Does this sound like a good way to diagnose the problem?? > > Of course I'll want to be gentle with clamping the line. > > -Ben > > > On 11/6/07 8:48 AM, "Ben Cichowski" <cichowski@montana.edu> wrote: > > > 25 Degrees this morning - same dead clutch. Yesterday, after it warmed up to > > 40, I went out and had NO problems what-so-ever with the clutch... (although > > it still feels a little soft for my taste and can stick in gear a bit if I > > hold the clutch in too long - another hydraulic clue...) > > > > So, as per my own thoughts and the thoughts of several others on the list, > > it looks like hydraulics are likely to blame (If I am missing something, > > someone please give a shout! - and by all means, feel free to tell me I'm > > being stupid and missing something obvious...things tend to stick better > > that way). > > > > I had my wife pump the clutch this morning as I watched the slave. The Slave > > moved...a very little bit and seemed like it was trying to push the lever, > > but then, CLICK, the lever pushed back. She kept getting the soft peddle > > syndrome again and again and I noted maybe 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of movement > > on the slave. > > > > Unfortunately...I'm not sure this rules out any particular components. I > > guess it could be the slave leaking...it could be the clutch master...I > > guess it could even be something binding in the tranny (but I think given > > the cold weather...I can safely say it is something hydraulic). > > > > The Slave does NOT LOOK new - it seems a bit rusty for 6K the PO says it has > > on it...hmmmm.... Also, I forgot to note in the last post that the slave and > > clutch master cyl were both listed as replaced when I purchased the vehicle. > > > > Even thought the master cyl looks new (compared to the slave), my gut is > > still leaning that direction. What do you all think? I've got to get going > > on it pretty quickly, as the snow will fly any day now and I'm about to be > > on new-baby duty in a few weeks. > > > > Cheers, > > Ben > > > > > > On 11/5/07 8:48 AM, "Ben Cichowski" <cichowski@montana.edu> wrote: > > > >> Hi All, > >> > >> Thought I had this fixed...20 Degrees F this morning tells me otherwise! > >> > >> My clutch goes to the floor in cold weather (usually below 40 F). I thought > >> it was air or moisture in the lines, so I had it pressure bled and replaced > >> with new hydro fluid. > >> > >> Seems to push down "Dead," then stay there...then it might pop back up and > >> feel like it has pressure...but pushing it down again does nothing. > >> > >> The PO had put a new slave cyl, and pressure plate in about 6K ago - maybe a > >> bad part?? > >> > >> > >> Any ideas from you seasoned vets would be great - Thanks, > >> > >> Ben > >> 88 Wofsburg Weekender ej22 (KEP adaptor) > >> > > > > -- > Ben Cichowski > Assistant Director for Training > cichowski@montana.edu > Phone 406.994.7205 > Fax 406.994.1774 > > Montana Water Center > 101 Huffman Building > Montana State University > Bozeman, MT 59717-2690 > http://watercenter.montana.edu >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia - "Jaco" (Bustorius)

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil