Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Nov 2007 22:14:35 -0800
From:         Kim Springer <kimspringer@RCN.COM>
Subject:      Importing, emissions as: Yahoo passed emissions

Here in CA we have no safety checks, but we of course have the emissions testing based on vehicle year emission requirements and functioning of required equipment.

Still, my Tristar had all the required equipment and passed the emissions test at my mechanis shop, but failed the California Air Resources Board (CARB) emissions lab tests that were required for importation, due to a poorly sealing fuel tank.

So I replaced the tank (new), crossover tube and fittings, and all the seals and lines. Guess what, it still failed, miserably.

So out with the tank, and I had installed all solid fittings soldered to the tank, and a neck flange where the filler tube enters so that one could hose clamp a section of large fuel hose from the tank flange to the filler tube.

Guess what, it passed. Now, when I take the fuel cap off, it releases pressure (like it is supposed to).

Now, I've posted this before and the responses I got back from folks saying that "I've had 15 Vanagons and not one of them acted this way, you've hooked up something wrong", or, "what you're experiencing should never happen. I've owned my van since new and it's never done that".

I think VW never produced a Vanagon that met the requirement of the system holding the 4-5 lbs of pressure it takes to not vent gas fumes into the atmosphere. The testing lab said it could never have passed the CA requirements of a manufacturer with the existing design. Grommets with plastic fittings stuffed through them don't hold pressure.

When the van is parked on a hot day, pressure is supposed to build in the tank and lines to the check valve at the charcoal canister, but it can't if it's leaking

I guess my point is, thank goodness CA and the rest of the states don't do this test, or we'd all fail and have to modify the fuel tank like I did. Thank your lucky stars boys and girls.

On the other side though, I'm glad my truck doesn't pump out the fumes. And, if you are importing one of these that has to go the CARB testing lab, well, now you know what you need to do to pass.

Kim Springer '88 Tristar 2WD #7