Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Nov 2007 19:38:58 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: That recent post bashing Tiico..one on Yahoo subaru too.
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

Fwiw, I've been in the subaru conversion world for quite a few years. Perhaps I missed a bunch of posts, but I have not observed that subie conversion people are overly evangelical ( enthusiastic, yes ) or hysterical that theirs is perfect and all else is junk. And I'd be the first one to jump on any 'our way is THE ONLY way' . Sure, sure, I knew the 996 is watercooled, I just wanted to have some fun. If it's the engine made for the boxster I was just reading that it was Porsche's first waterboxer. The latest road & Track has an article on the Boxster as a Used Car Classic...in which they list problems.....they had quite some problems with sealing on that engine ....I should read that article again. They're first 4 valves per cyl production/road car engine too I think. Well ! maybe I'm thinking of the 993 then. I do not in any way claim to know versions and numbers of porsche engines, but I sure know how to work on this 914-6 car sitting right next to me here ! And I'd love to see a subaru engine in it actually ! ... A 2.2 1990's EJ22 subaru engine puts out more power, in a broader band, by far, than the 2.0 liter 911T engine in the 914-6. And get this ......it's a 1970 car. The owner's manual says that up to one and a half quarts of oil consumption per 600 miles is normal ! Metallurgy and piston ring sealing has come a long way since then. It's all top end screaming power too, nothing relaxed about it at all, It's hairy, but it's too hairy all the time. They do subie conversions to 914's too. Vast improvement. VW could brag that more engine conversions to other kinds of motors are done, than on any other make of car ! What a rep to have !