Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Nov 2007 10:41:50 -0500
From:         Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>
Subject:      Re: That recent post bashing Tiico..one on Yahoo subaru too.

On 11/7/07, Benny boy <huotb@videotron.ca> wrote: >Naaa. Just to save money, they can not justify 10K on a 5-10K van > so they try themself, and they fail! So that list will be there for a long > time. This can be done perfectly the right way the first time, but hey! we > won't give you all the inside!

I disagree with you Ben. They aren't all failures. Some guys pull it off, some don't. I think the main difference is the information. If building a DIY conversion, you need to have access to, and understand all of the right information. You know this better than anyone because that's Vanaru's core value proposition, you have the information to do it correctly. That's what the list is about, trying to cull that information from the experiences of others. Imagine how bad things would be for folks without the lists.. conversely imagine how well it would go if Vanaru launched a documentation effort so that anyone could do it just like you(would be shooting yourself in the foot in a way, but it would lead to a lot more successful DIYers) anyhow in evolving from developing and installing turnkeys, to now trying to create our own DIY movement based on that idea(providing all the information we've learned over the last three years about doing our conversion), it has become blatantly obvious that the key to all of it is proper information transmission(if of course you've got a simple and robust enough starting point with regard to the actual conversion design)... and this means not just getting it to the DIYers hands, it needs to be in their heads, and further it has to be understood. This is no small chore.. but I believe it's the best way to go in the long run. It is more efficient for the small scales we're talking about in the vanagon aftermarket. Lot's of people want answers for their needs and wants with regards to conversions, yet the price is still too much of a barrier simply because nobody has been able to get the economies of scale built into the conversions. I think that the ideal situation is where they not only have a conversion for a much lower price point than these days, but also have the confidence and ability to build, install, and maintain it themselves if they want to, as well as the option of having someone else take care of it. Keeping the system as simple as possible is part of it, producing the parts in enough volume for good pricing with good quality is part of it, and providing the information one knows intimately to the end user is another part of it. Having a pro install a conversion doesn't achieve this, it's locates and unveils the tip of the iceberg, but you've got the rest of the ownership period of time to consider as well. Give them a fish they eat for a day vs. teach them to fish type of thing. Ben you have taught lot's of guys how to fish with loads of information on the list before your conversion(which as Karl points out hasn't just been the engine in your van) but extolling the virtue's of professional installation as the key to a happy future is somewhat missing the bigger picture I think, unless professional maintenance or a long warranty is also a given condition. Anyhow, like you said nothing, no engine conversion is ever perfect, nobody in the world has ever made a car without problems, or modified one to have none. But in managing the risk(which is all we can do) I think successful DIYers are armed with one thing that really has enormous power, knowledge and confidence... saying they all fail and should just spring for a turnkey obliterates this condition. Perhaps better in the short term for some, but I still think it can be better. And if you still believe that all of the DIYers are doing it to save money, I can assure you that notion is false... I thought the same thing, until I started being reminded by our test group DIYers that it can be at the same time fun, rewarding, and successful with the right help behind you... which is something that I need to make sure not to forget. Especially since this is afterall vanagonland, where the levels of esteem for self sufficiency are high, perhaps higher than with just about any other group I can think of.

Jim Akiba