Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Nov 2007 11:57:52 -0500
From:         Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Loss When Wet Problem SOLVED!
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@umassd.edu>

Might be time for a new cap and wires................

Cheers, Doug

On 11/7/07, Richard Golen <rgolen@umassd.edu> wrote: > > A couple of weeks ago I asked for some suggestions as to what to do > about a problem I was having when my 87 Westy's engine was damp > (after or even during a rain storm). The solution I was using at the > time was to turn off the ignition and turn it back on...however after > doing it three or four times in the first five minutes of driving > gets a bit old. > > I received many suggestions, most of which centered around various > connectors and terminals being dirty, etc. Before I started to pull > apart connectors, etc., I thought I'd roll the dice and try an > inexpensive option. For $2.00 I bought a can of Gunk Wire Dryer. The > product claims to dry wires and to leave a coating (petroleum based) > on the wires. So I sprayed all the connectors in the engine > compartment, the plug wires, and inside and outside of the > distributor cap a couple of days ago. > > Last night it rained, and this morning the van was wet from the rain. > This was the usual condition that I experienced the power loss. So I > took the Westy for a drive and tried to "trigger" the power loss > (full throttle conditions....low speed conditions), and nothing > happened...no power loss! So perhaps, the problem is solved? I'll > keep an eye on things. > > > Ric >

-- http://www.dougalcock.com