Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Nov 2007 10:39:33 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1985 Vanagon - front steering column "u-joint"
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

Jim,

The standard steering uses the flat rubber joint at the steering box input shaft. Power steering racks require a true U-Joint which is completely different. They cost in excess of $200.00 new.

Mike

Jim Felder wrote: > I got mine locally and installed them less than a week ago, so I can > probaby tell you whatever you want to know about them. > > I'm talking about the rubber joints, but I replaced the V-box as well > since it had a "flat" spot in the center and a noticeable mesh of > gears as it was turning. > > So there are two alphabet parts to deal with, the U-joints and the V-box. > > The first thing to look at are the U-joints, the flexible joints that > make use of the rubber plates. My local shop had brazilian and german > ones, I opted for the higher-priced german ones at about $12.00 each. > There are three. The two on the bottom, above and below the v-box > (which the Bentley refers to as the reverse box, or something like > that) are exposed to the weather and are more likely to be > deteriorated than the upper one between the steering shaft and the > output of the steering rack. The steering rack, by the way, is much > more likely to be worn out than the V-box. The V-box is said to seldom > go bad, but mine did. > > If you determine that it is the mechanical assembly of the V-box and > not the just the rubber parts, be prepared for a shock. The dealer > wants nearly $1000 for the part, and Ken Wilford of Vanagain happened > to have one new unit left and I bought it (for a lot less than the > dealer wanted). Anyway, they are difficult to come by in anything but > a complete dismantle because they are required to make the body > steerable. I had a difficult time finding a used one that anyone > wanted to part with. > > Removing the box is not too difficult. Drop the windshield fluid > reservoir by removing the 3 10 mm screws and work the pump assembly > straight up out of the reservoir so it won't be hanging in your face > to get to the "outside" two bolts. Remove the lower radiator cover so > you can sit in front of the car and remove the two "inside" bolts. > > Two 13 mm wrenches wil be needed to disassemble the U-joints beneath > the pedals in the car and under the car. The V-box will remove out the > bottom. > > Pay attention to the 90 degree relationship of the U-joints to the > v-box upon reassembly. Also pay attention to the fact that the horn > wire attaches to the upper of the two U-joint assemblies and runs to a > spade connector on the upper half of the inner steering shaft. > > The tricky part of reassembly will come with the last bit of rubber > needs to go in. It won't fit without loosening the collar and removing > the clamping bolt of the lower joint so the joint half can slide down > and give enough room for the rubber piece to fit in. If this doesn't > make sense now, it will make perfect sense when you go to do it. > > Now that the rubber is in place, you can't get the clamping bolt in > because it is pushed out of alignment with the groove in the shaft. > This problem can be solved by finding just the right size of > screwdriver blade to fit between the v-box and the coupler (it has to > be pretty sharp) and prying the coupler up the splined shaft so that > the clamping bolt will slip through its groove, and it might need a > few taps. The rest is trivial. Be sure to hook up your horn. > > Jim > > On 11/2/07, Miguel Pacheco <mundopacheco@gmail.com> wrote: >> Larry, I just sold my last (used) one to a local shop. I was hunting down >> parts for a Toyota truck and noticed they had an 85 Vanagon sitting out >> front. I told them that if they needed any parts, quick, I had them. The >> owner replied that he needed this steering U-joint and that it was worth >> 100.00 to him. I don't know who carries them, but, for the owner to offer >> the 100.00 right out of the box, it suggests that this item is pricey. >> Good luck. Miguel >> >