Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Nov 2007 10:04:17 -0800
From:         Joel VanderKwaak <joelvanderkwaak@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch shutter, vibation, shaking - why?

Hey all,

I've had this problem a couple of times: 1st time three of the motor mounts on the rear of the engine were cracked in half and replacing them fixed things; 2nd time (after a subie conversion) I had a loose bellhousing bolt, so the tranny shifted slightly when the clutch was engaged, and re-torquing the bolt fixed things up. I guess the point is it's not always the clutch or flywheel.

Joel

On Nov 9, 2007 3:43 AM, Frank Condelli <RAlanen@aol.com> wrote: > In a message dated 08/11/2007 1:48:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, > LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes: > > I have lived with this problem for years and have always wondered why. > I had a factory rebuilt motor and a new clutch installed by a local shop > and it chattered immediately. It occured in reverse under a light load > such as backing uphill, or in 1st under heavy load only. The shop replaced > the clutch disk & pressure plate with new parts twice, but the problem > persisted. I had so many problems with the first shop that I finally gave > up in disgust. Later on, a different shop replaced the slave cylinder, but > there was no improvement. I got fustrated with the whole thing and have > learned to live with it. If I baby the clutch I can avoid the chattering > about 80% of the time. > > > > > > > > Walter & others, when replacing a clutch did the flywheel get resurfaced ? > If not then a warped flywheel could be the problem. Also check the tranny > mount. If the rubber has come un-bonded from the metal then this will cause > the shuddering problem, especially in std. tranny vans. Auto vans will not > see much vibration but it will contribute to the demise of the flex plate. > > Cheers, > > Frank Condelli > Almonte, Ontario, Canada > '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) > _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) > - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley > _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) > _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper > camping event, Almonte, ON, June 07 ~ 10, 2007 >