Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Nov 2007 12:56:49 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter question
Comments: To: TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@GMAIL.COM>

It seems that you are unclear if it's a tired starter or wiring and switching to it. If the starter will operate perfectly via a Remote Starter Switch...which is a tool, which I wouldn't go anywhere without, and which I use about 20 times a month diagnosing and working on vanagons, which I can't seem to get anyone to realize the value of .... If it works that way, it's not the starter.

The 'other part' you wonder about is the neutral safety switch on the shift linkage, inside the shifter console. One 'for sure' test for a bad starter is, if it should fire, like it's getting a good signal to it, but won't go, but does when you whack it with a hammer, that's for sure a tired starter. Scott www.turbovans.com