Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Nov 2007 14:31:41 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: R&R Clutch
Comments: To: vanagonvw <ac.vanagon@GMAIL.COM>

Maybe nobody saw it. I posted that the pressure plate fits over 3 roll pins/dowels in the flywheel, and thus the p. plate fits only one way. You'll notice a new pressure plate has balance weights on it somewhere often. In any case, the pressure plate only goes on one way, and they come pre-balanced. If you're really a nut, send your flywheel and pressure plate out for balancing as a unit together. Scott www.turbovans.com -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of vanagonvw Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 1:16 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: R&R Clutch

neil N wrote: > I would assume the reason behind marking it, is a potential balancing issue. > > But.... > > This doesn't answer your question directly, but with a new pressure > plate, how does one line it up/balance it in the first place? I don't > think there's any marks on a new pressure plate, but even if there > were, what would you line them up with? If I'm right (I haven't bought > a new pressure plate in a LONG time) I would think there's no problem > putting it back on w/o any reference marks. Besides what choice do you > have? --- :^) > > I never heard of it being a balance thing, but the writeups say to mark it. I saw it on the bench, and put it back on, apparently the only way, was the first way I tried... Interesting.

Thanks,

John