Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Nov 2007 22:53:08 -0800
From:         Kyle Davis <davis_family_46168@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Is it too late for Friday SVC?

Hey all,

I'm not putting in my mileage figures. I figure, since it's not working, it gets infinity miles to the gallon, or 0 miles to the gallon. Either way, it would throw off everybody else's stats.

Enjoyed the article about the Diesel Beetle. Was intrigued to discover that the stock VW air-cooling system was adequate enough to keep a diesel powerplant cool.

Everybody else beat me to answering the question, whither westfalia works? I could have sworn that the very same person who told me about it was the same person who asked in the list... But then again, it's quarter till 2 on Saturday a.m., and I am kind of tired...

Somebody PMailed me about the stuff I used to bring back the shiny-ness of the stock paint. If anybody else is interested, I'll post that to the list, otherwise, I'll just reply back to that guy in pmail form.

I physically cringed to learn of people throwing away working (if in shabby state) vanagon engines. I know if I had one of these I'd be so much happier right now.

Still haven't received the sliding door bits or the one cylinder head from eBay.

The main mode of transportation (Kia Sedona minivan) is about ready to give up the ghost. It needs a new front wheel bearing, and the coolant lines need replaced between the front of the care and the back auxilliary heater. Whilst I was waiting in Midas to have it's brakes done, I read an article by either Car&Driver, Road&Track, or Automobile which regarded a "long term test" of a Kia Sedona EX.

Needless to say, I don't believe 29K miles constitutes a long term test. It's all still covered under their warranty. Now, talk to me after about 60K miles when you are the second owner, that's when the fun really starts:

alternator ($200) 1st catalytic converter ($1500) 2nd "" "" "" 3rd "" "" $300

Add to that now,

wheel bearing $200 radiator coolant lines $800?

When we picked out a name for the Kia, we should just have called it the money pit.

Anyhow, I believe they (the magazine folks) are so disconnected from normal, every day Joes, that the only really truly long-term test that they'd be persuaded to do would be in those flashy sports cars that always adorn their covers.

You could see how this Kia has left little money for me to do much else with our Vanagon, and add to that the $1700 that we have to come up with to replace our Ford Taurus' engine.

bummer.

Kyle