Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:53:45 -0500
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: ABA 2.0L 15 degrees
Comments: To: Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>

Mark,

Whoops, yes I am talking about the diesel setup. So if you are trying to get an ABA under the hood with the 15 degree setup you need to dig a trench under the center of the van everywhere you go before you go there so that the engine will clear if you want to get it under the hood with a 15 degree slant. The 50 degree (diesel) setup had about 6 inches of ground clearance if I remember right (it has been a couple of years). Van is still going strong last I heard so, so far the tilt hasn't negatively effected the transmission life etc.

This is not a job that I would have done if I had been the one to start the conversion. The customer brought me an "almost finished" conversion that he bought off of ebay. When I got it it was a basket case with many things not done but the engine was mounted to the trans so it was considered "almost done". I told the customer about the ground clearance issues, etc. but he had already invested $4000 in this van (a plain jane GL with an ABA stuck in the back) so he wanted me to finish it any way that would work. When it was all said and done the thing ran sweet. The ground clearance was OK as long as you took it easy over speed bumps and didn't go off road.

Just sharing my experiences. Not advocating this type of setup to anyone.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Mark Drillock wrote: > Ken, from your description it sounds like you used Vanagon diesel engine > mounting parts. If so, that stuff mounts at 50 degrees, not 15. > > Mark > > Ken Wilford wrote: > >> We did this mod for a customer. Basically you have to lower the engine >> by about 6 inches to get it to fit. We did this by welding steel "L" >> plates onto the engine carrier bars. >> Here is how we did it: >> We then installed some liquid filled mounts from a Jetta onto the bottom >> of the alloy engine mounts. Then install your "L shaped brackets to the >> bottom. Now use the jack that has been supporting your motor this whole >> time and lower the engine to the desired height. Make some tack welds. >> Support the engine again and remove the carrier bars. Weld stuff up >> right. Replace carrier bars and you should be good to go. >> //::::::::::::::::::::::::::: >> ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: >> >> >> ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: >> >> >> >>> Is it possible to put an ABA 2.0L at 15 degrees in a Westy without >>> modifying the lid? >>> Best regards. >>> Gilles Turmel >>> >>> >>> >> >