Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:03:18 -0500
From:         Sam Conant <samcvt@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Water pump premature failure
Comments: To: Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>

Chuckling at the second comment (below).

My true story is actually true. Back in the mid 90's, I was planning on traveling to rural Tennessee where my extended family had planned a week-long clan gathering at Falls Creek Falls. At the time, I had two teens, and drove a two door Honda Accord SEI. To keep the peace, during a weakened moment, I had volunteered that my two sons could each invite a friend along for the trip, and they had taken me up on the offer.

With not a lot of afterthought, it occurred to me that my friend and I were going to be trapped for more than a week traveling with four exasperating teenaged males.

Twenty + years earlier I had owned a splitty and a 1972 VW camper. So, thinking wisely, I called an acquaintance who owned a now-defunct VW dealership and asked if he knew of any Westphalias in at least decent shape for a decent price. None were to be had, he said.

A week before the departure day, the VW fellow called excitedly to tell me he had exactly what I was looking for - a 1984 Westphalia in "PERFECT" condition. I made the usual wiseguy comment - "Right, a Sunday school teacher, bakes cookies, lives in the country and never really drives anywhere. I was enticed into taking the 30 mile drive to view the perfect vehicle.

When I got to the dealership, there wasn't a VW bus of any kind in the shop or in the lot, and my "friend" was nowhere around. His lead mech. told me he had gone out to meet some folks who had gotten lost on their way in to pick up their new Rabbit. So, I waited.

After about an hour, in rolled a brown a new VW sedan of some sort followed by a bright and shiny 1984 Westy with an elderly couple in the front. I honestly believed my friend was setting me up for a practical joke.

They all got out and we introduced all around. I got into the front seat of the Westy and looked around ... finally seeking out the odometer reading ... 11,670 miles was the reading.

I got out, went rearward, opened the hatch, raised the cushion and cover to look at the engine compartment.

That vehicle looked as though it had just come out of a show room. I went inside where my friend was completing paperwork with the couple and, without thinking asked my friend when I was going to hear his punch line.... He roared with laughter, leaned back and said to the couple, "I told you he wouldn't believe it.!"

Those two innocent-appearing, and really pleasant folks told me about their Westy.

They bought it new from a dealer who had carried as inventory in 1985 or 86, and had driven it only to and from their rural Vermont home and their southern winter home - 3 trips all in all. The rest of the time, the westy had been parked in a garage, started and run a couple of times a month, up on blocks most of the non-driving time (preserving the tires, I was told). They were trading for the sedan because he had undergone hip replacements and, the trip north was just too uncomfortable for him, so they were buying a sedan. They had already sole their 1963 Chrysler. I paid 10K for the Westy, and still drive it nearly every day. Neither of those folks taught Sunday school, but in response to my initial belief, I received a package of chocolate chip cookies with a note that they thought I'd need them on the trip to Tennessee. The family trip was great, the teens loved the vehicle, and were appreciative that they had been able to travel without having to juggle themselves around luggage and themselves crammed in the back seat of my Honda.

SamC ----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Sisler" <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2007 4:47 PM Subject: Re: Water pump premature failure