Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:51:02 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: The flattery of flashing blue lights
Comments: To: Anthony Zygmunt <tzygmunt@yahoo.com>

This reminds me of a humorous situation involving my late father and the local gendarmes and judge in Gallup, NM, circa October 1966 (pre-I-40 days). Doesn't involve a Vanagon, but it does involve a VW Beetle, a vintage 1950 Split Window w/a 36hp and full crashbox tranny......

My father and I had the chance to buy this Beetle from my father's friend in Connecticut and drive it home (he did, I stayed home because I was still in high school). The total cost of the bug was plane fare and the gas (cheep then, relatively speaking,) to drive it back to the Southern California area - probably the best deal for any car I can recall. While cruising through Gallup, one of the locals pulled my father over for speeding (I don't remember how fast it was ticketed for). My father immediately took to the judge and challenged it. The judge and my father agreed to take ride in it where the ticket was issued to prove that it could not have been possible for the car to attain such a speed that it was cited for. After the ride, the judge through it out and gave a stern lecture to the ticketing officer, who was present during the court appearance and road test. My brother has a copy of both the ticket and the judge's dismissal order in a family album somewhere. -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On Nov 10, 2007 6:18 AM, Anthony Zygmunt <tzygmunt@yahoo.com> wrote: > My wife's uncle who owned a 71 Westy got stopped for > speeding. He told the officer that instead of a > ticket, he should get a metal for getting the van to > go that fast. > > > > --- Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > > > Shortly after I got the opportunity to test the > > Westy's new air horns this morning (someone sitting > > through a green light while waiting to make an > > illegal > > left turn), I got on the interstate for the short > > hop > > to work. While merging into traffic and checking > > the > > mirrors I spotted a trooper and figured there was > > nothing for me to worry about, and then right after > > I > > got up to (legal) speed his lights went on. Turns > > out > > he was after the kid in the Civic behind me and was > > I > > ever relieved, but it's nice to think the WBX could > > accelerate fast enough to attract the attention of > > the > > fuzz.