Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:59:43 -0800
From:         PB <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: My Aux. batt. 'glitch' is fixed/Sony stereo
Comments: To: mike <mwmiller@cwnet.com>

I have an Alpine stereo system that came with my 90 Westy automatic when I got it this past April. I went through a month of battery problems until I finally got to speak to the previous owner. (His mechanic's adult son handled the sale.) The previous owner immediately called my attention to the stereo kill-switch under the dashboard just to the right of my knee. I've been using it instead of the stereo's power knob, and have had no problems since.

The stereo is connected to the main battery, not the aux. It works when the ignition is turned off, but when the stereo is turned off there are no bright lights. With the kill switch turned off, the stereo still retains the time and the stations in its memory. I'm very pleased with the unit, but there's a gigantic woofer under the rear seat, and I'd like to look into removing it and getting that space back, hopefully with minimal loss of sound quality. I'm not car stereo savvy, so I'll probably take it to a shop.